Wednesday, January 29, 2014

His word never fails


When I was doing my devotion this morning I was flipping through my journal and found this writing. I'm not sure where I got it from or who said it but I wrote it down March 26, 2012 and it prompted me to write this devotion today. The writing read:

Keep in mind that in the heat of our struggles, the Holy Spirit is probably doing his greatest work within us. He is not moved by the circumstances.So many times we get sidetracked by how slowly things seem to be going. In fact, the enemy loves to point that out! God will help us if we remain steadfast. Galatians 6:9 says, “So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up."

 I remember when my husband was done playing football, not necessarily by choice but due to so many injuries, he had to transition from playing to a different career. By this time we had kids and a household to think about. This time was extremely difficult for the both of us. Not because we didn't financially prepare, because I was saving money left and right, but when you work so hard on one thing and want so badly for that one thing to work out it could come as a hard blow emotionally when it falls to pieces. You feel lost and confused and begin to wonder, "Where is God in all of this?" You find yourself angry and disappointed, maybe even mad at God. But God has a path that he has already mapped out for us. It may not be the path that we anticipated and he may have to reroute us along the way when we decide to disobey him and go our own route. When we realize and grasp hold of the truth that God made us for himself and for his purpose then we can really understand that, "for my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord" (Isaiah 55:8-9)

I can even remember so many times through the course of my young life that God was doing his greatest work in me when I was experiencing the greatest pain. From losing friendships to really dealing with childhood issues, I was able to grow my faith through my struggles.
We have to be in constant fellowship with the Lord and allow him to direct us. Yes, times will get hard, you will feel lost and afraid. You might even feel like God doesn't hear you because everything that you hoped for is not happening but during this time ask yourself, Am I in alignment with God or am I on my own agenda?  Whose agenda are you on?  We are all searching for something, whether it's financial stability, happiness, love, etc. Regardless of what it is, you must begin with God when you begin a search, PERIOD.
As I look back over those years of feeling lost and starting over I can't help but thank God for keeping me. Indeed, God was doing his greatest work in my husband and in myself during our struggles. The work is continuous but it all started with the disappointment, followed by the searching. God will definitely help you if you remain steadfast and continue to search for him in every situation. The enemy wants you to think that God doesn't hear you and that things will never get better, but it will. Just trust and be obedient to his word. His word never fails.



Father, I thank you for your never-ending grace. During my difficult times I am reminded that my ways are not your ways and that your plan for my life is far greater than my own plans. Help me to remain steadfast in your word and not lean unto my own understanding. I know that you are doing a great work in me as I remain obedient to your word. In Jesus name I pray, amen.


xo
Jessica B.


















No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10