Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Site words and laughter!!

 
 
 

Over the summer I created this word board using Velcro and felt. It's slowly falling apart but it still gets the job done. I found a list of the most common Kindergarten site words and have been using them with the boys. I also threw a few bible verses in the mix. Surprisingly they love it! Mainly because we've made a game out of it. The "let's see who gets the most words right" really brings out the competitiveness in them. Who knew site words and laughing could go hand-in-hand?!

I decided to start them on site words because we had too much time on our hands during the summer and I also found myself getting lazy with them and not reading to them as often as I would have liked. I always worry about them viewing reading as a chore or punishment so I make a point to make reading fun around our house. It also gives me quality time with them.There are endless reasons why we should read to our kids in these early years - developing speech, teaching them that you read from left to right, listening skills, word exposure, etc..  At this point, I want the boys to hone in on listening skill, communication skills, and expose them to different ideas and words during our reading time. It's also funny how they like to reenact the stories that we read. Especially if I read the story with lots of enthusiasm. It's quite entertaining to hear them put their own twist on it.

Do you think a word board would be helpful to you child?
If so, they're so easy to make. I purchased a self-adhesive foam board from Michael's for under $10. The felt also came from Michael's and it was under $5. I cut the felt to fit the board and stuck it right to it. The adhesive has done a decent job of keeping it together. Get some notecards, a sharpie, velcro tape and voila, you've got yourself a word board! If you want to make your board sturdier, you can staple your velcro to a big piece of cardboard and that should last longer!





No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10